Interested in writing for RunAddicts.net? Get started now!
“I know I should exercise, but …” drum roll… prepare to be amazed as the self-deceiving justifications are endless!
Here are some of my favorites: “between work and the kids, exercising is a luxury that I can’t afford! “, “Who said I don’t exercise? I ’run’ my business all day long!”. Now I’m saving the best for last: “Until they include gym rooms in plans, there is no way in hell I can exercise!”
Are you one of these self-proclaimed procrastinators? If so, then stick around as we are going to share with you proven tips to incorporate exercising into the most stressful travel and/or work obligations.
What you turn into a MUST is what will happen
In his masterpiece “Awaken the Giant Within”, Anthony Robbins, a renowned American peak performance specialist, asserted that unless you schedule what really matters to you in your calendar and make it a must, you will remain a victim of wishful thinking indefinitely!
Some people are gifted in coming up with “stories” about why they can’t maintain an exercise regimen under hectic schedules. No matter how legitimate their excuse may sound, it isn’t! It only shows that taking care of their overall health and wellness is number infinity on their priority list!
Most of our time is occupied in acquiring the so-cold luxuries of life but in the process we neglect the simple pleasures and the basic element that leads to a happy life which is good health.
If you want to become more productive at work or any other life obligation, then you need to exercise regularly
Here is the deal: if you want to become more productive at work or any other life obligation, then you need to exercise regularly. How can you forget the “fuel” and expect the car to keep on moving? Sooner or later it will stop only because you didn’t have 5 minutes to spare in your busy day!
Take astronauts for example: they commit themselves to rigorous exercise routines because that is the only way they can cope with living without gravity in outer space.
Exercising has different meanings for different people. For some it only means burning calories, whereas, for others exercising is a life style that’s no less important than getting enough sleep and caring for one’s hygiene. Obviously, the latter group got it right. There is no doubt that the way one perceives things can affect the end result. Once exercise becomes your priority, you will “create” time for it under any circumstances.
Being unhappy and unhealthy
We can see people having all the materialistic pleasures imaginable but still leading an unhappy and unhealthy life. These people fall prey to the common misconception that exercising is time consuming. Ironically, they would rather spend their time increasing their bank accounts than increasing their overall health and fitness.
Some people, when they climb the ladder of success, go for the instant gratification of short-term success, ignoring unintentionally and sometimes intentionally, the inevitable long-term failure. When people overstress and overwork themselves completely, the results can be drastic on both the personal professional levels. In fact, as their health condition deteriorates, medications might eat up all their hard-earned money! Would you consider that success?
Some people may be constantly travelling for either personal or business purposes. Yet again, that is no excuse for not maintaining a regular exercise routine.
The bottom line is that once you commit to a exercising on regular basis, you will certainly follow through. Even if you spent as little as 5 minutes of your precious time exercising every day, it can produce great results and as the saying goes: “where there is a will there is a way”.
Steady minor modifications have a huge impact
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Say “No” to junk food and replace it with healthier options most of the time
- A dip in the hotel swimming pool (you see, even travelling can help you exercise!)
- Walk as much as you can. Get out of the bus/taxi at least two blocks away from your destination.
- Engage in short but rather intensive workouts (a great tip if you are ultra busy)
- A few stretches, push-ups, and crunches requires 10-15 minutes and can be done at home, hotel, private office, you name it!
Good health does not mean going to a gym
I’m certainly not against using a gym. In fact, many people find the gym highly motivating but for those who are short of time, all the above exercises can be easily done anywhere with no need for any sophisticated equipments. Still, some of us manage to invent very creative excuses to avoid consistent exercising. Anyway, the results of adhering to these small workouts are immense enough to motivate one to follow through. Some of them can be:
- High Level of Energy – When one travels, it is natural to feel exhausted particularly when crossing time-zones. But a regular exercise greatly contributes to maintaining stamina and high energy levels which leads to better productivity.
- Sound Sleep – Exercising is a proven recipe for sound sleep. When travelling it can be difficult to get the desired amount of sleep but exercising helps in maintaining a proper sleep pattern
- Toxic sweat – On business trips, it is very common that people often get indulged in alcohol and other toxic drinks. A regular exercise pattern can get rid of this toxic waste in the form of sweat.
- Burning Calories – Although this should never be number one reason for exercising, it is a definite bonus that that comes with it. Many weight-related diseases can automatically disappear thanks to regular exercising.
- Goodbye Stress ! – exercising greatly helps in getting rid of the stress that some people face while travelling.
- Muscle Toner – Carrying heavy luggage and jostling through the rush are very common while travelling. This could sometimes result in pain and fatigue. Exercise helps in stretching the muscles so that the tension that has gripped them can be released.
If the benefits of exercise are common sense and known to everyone, then why there is still a need to emphasize the significance of maintaining a health regimen? Sometimes we need someone to come forward and remind us about the obvious facts so that the obvious doesn’t slip into oblivion!
I sincerely hope that the ultra short none-excusable workout techniques mentioned above can help us all in creating an ongoing exercising routine that’s both highly beneficial and enjoyable.
Enjoy investing in your most precious asset: YOU!